21 November 2009

Crows and the Call to Prayer

So as long as I'm dredging up media from the past, I thought I would post this video from Ramadan.

Every night in Bangladesh, as the sun starts to drift behind the low tree-covered hills in the distance, swarms of crows take to the skies. I'm not sure how to exactly articulate the mass of crows that I see every day out of my window, or off my balcony. One way would be to use a simile- the crows at sunset in Bangladesh are like bees buzzing away at a hive. If you've ever stumbled upon a bee-hive at the foot of a tree in a forest you know what I'm talking about. At first you see one bee sprout up, then another, and then within seconds there are hundreds of black spots darting around the base of the tree. Another parallel example would be if you've ever lived in a hot place and left fruit out for way too long. When you finally decide that the time has come to do something about your rotting banana, and you pick it up, fruit flies swarm from out of nowhere until the air is dusted with their black little bodies. This is what crows in Bangladesh are like at sundown.

I may have more videos to come on this subject, thanks to Dan taking some video tonight as we sat out on the balcony drinking tea, but for now you can watch the video below. This video is mostly interesting for two reasons- Reason number one- check out the crows. There are a Lot of them. Reason number two- this video was taken during Ramadan when the call to prayer each night was preceded by a siren informing any fasting Muslims that they could now eat for the first time since sunrise. So this video starts off with that siren, continues with the call to prayer, and is punctuated by the flapping and flighting of crows throughout.

1 comment:

Dan said...

That video made me realize how much I do NOT miss that siren. Actually, I don't really miss anything about Ramadan. Any holiday where the main (practical everyday) focus is not eating for prolonged periods of time is clearly not going to rank high in my book.