17 January 2007

Paint Gun The Cow?


I woke up to find that all of the cows and goats in Madurai looked like this.

This is to celebrate the end of the South Indian harvest festival, Pongal.

To celebrate, I went to our friend's house (Sateya and Nateya) and watched a lot of Tamil music videos and ate a lot of sugar cane. It's nice because you're so blatantly eating something that resembles a tree you feel like you're eating health food. Although, there is something strange in being invited over to someone's house and then chewing up tree bits and spitting them on the floor (but everyone was doing it!)

Because it's a harvest festival everything related to harvesting is celebrated and worshiped. So, one of the last days was dedicated to the sun. To greet the sun, the families below us (and everyone else in Madurai, really) drew huge elaborate Coloumms in front of our house.


This is Danu to the left, stirring the colors to spread in front of the houses.












This, on the right, is one of the designs already completed. Emily is helping with the other one.


















Me in my living room- eating some sugarcane that Emily brought over.


So, other than that things have been mostly academics. Although, i probably have lice? Will get that checked out.

Hope you all are well!

--- catie

3 comments:

Risu said...

I never thought to ask why all the cows here in Mysore are lavishly coloured. I was too busy being devastated by the fact that we quite obviously did not invent cow-writing.

We're having a prem of a time and shall be heading to Ooty soonish.

PS- I think my kidneys might be failing, but I too am far too fond of the 'water-cures-all' theory. Um, but I guess I'm not really drinking too much water either.

Anonymous said...

I want to be a painted cow for halloween next year!!
And I really like your pants. Did you get those tailored? Can you tell what's-his-name to make me some of those (purposely capri)?

shanukanchi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.