18 September 2010

Figured it out! I can stomach stomach!

Dan and I wandered around tonight looking for a place to eat. We wandered down one street, and deciding it was too chic for our slobbish selves, decided to move on (I've never before felt as though I was underdressed for an entire street). We ended up at a restaurant on the same street as the place I described in my last post - Aux 3 Cochons. After eating dinner tonight (some jambon cru with melon, and some lasagne, and a small bowl of chocolate mousse for me), we wandered by the other restaurant so I could check out the menu.

I am proud to say that since the first time we went there, I can now understand much more of the menu. The only thing listed in what I had ordered that I didn't understand was andouillette. I knew this was a type of sausage, but didn't know what differentiated it from other sausages. Well, I just looked it up and apparently I have been eating (a few times now) and Loving (every time!) sausage made from the intestines and stomaches of pigs. And, I'm excited to say that this is apparently a sausage that Lyon is apparently known for. Wikipedia tells me that some restaurants in Lyon are even rated on the quality of their andouillette! It also said that this is an acquired taste, which wasn't true for me; it was complete love at first taste.

I've never really considered myself a particularly picky eater (not since I was about 12 anyway), but I've never considered myself much of a worldly eater either- I generally steer clear of seafood if I can, and I loathe mushrooms. That being said, I have no problem eating interesting animal parts. tongue? brain? sweetbread? bring it on. pig stomach? just another delicious notch in the ol' belt. I guess the next step for me will be to try frog legs, although, I think I'm going to look it up first. I don't understand how you can eat something so tiny that still has bones. Anyone out there have any advice? Let me know!

--- Catie

1 comment:

Dan said...

Remember when you were a vegetarian for a few weeks? Ah, good times. I like the image of you and your meat belt, by the way. Looking forward to more piggy adventures, m'dear.